Another procedure that can be given to fix gum recession is AlloDerm which helps to repair gum; regenerating and building back the gum that was lost. If your teeth feel extra sensitive and your gum line looks a little uneven, you might have gum erosion. Unfortunately, once gum tissues has been damaged or brushed away, it can be difficult to replace. Instead of those gums covering the roots of your teeth, you might be left with exposed dental surfaces, which contain a thinner level of protective enamel. In addition to being more sensitive to hot and cold, dental roots can also make it easy for bacteria to take hold and wreak havoc. However, Dr. Silberg might be able to correct gum erosion by performing gentle gum grafting with AlloDerm. Here is a little more information about this helpful procedure:
Why You Might Need Gum Repairs
Are you wondering if gum grafting is right for you? Check out this list of common reasons many people need gum repairs.
- Genetics: If your mom and dad have a problem with gum erosion, you might have it too. Since everyone is different, there is a chance that your tissues will react differently, and your gums are no exception.
- Smoking: Smoking can reduce the blood flow to your gums, leading to unsightly recession. If this condition is left unchecked, gums can become so badly damaged that they can lead to tooth loss.
- Aggressive Brushing: Scrubbing hard might work well for your back deck or dirty bathtub, but it isn’t the right move when you are brushing your teeth. If you brush too aggressively, you can scrub away delicate gum tissue in an instant.
- Ongoing Medical Conditions: Unfortunately, smoking and aggressive brushing aren’t the only problems that can lead to gum erosion. If you have ongoing medical conditions like diabetes or cancer, your gums can take a hit.
How AlloDerm Is Different Than Other Grafting Techniques
If you have ever talked with someone who has undergone gum grafting, you may have heard stories about painful tissue grafting and lengthy recovery times. However, here at the Silberg Center, we use AlloDerm grafts. Here are a few reasons we recommend AlloDerm to our patients:
- Avoid Tissue Harvesting: During traditional gum grafting procedures, tissue is harvested from other places in your mouth, such as your soft palate or the area behind your jaw. Unfortunately, harvesting can be painful and make eating and drinking painful. However, AlloDerm is a product made from donated tissue, so that you won’t have to worry about tissue harvesting.
- Reduces Pain: In addition to avoiding lengthy tissue harvesting procedures, AlloDerm also helps to reduce the overall pain levels of the procedure. Instead of having to worry about multiple wound sites, you will just need to keep an eye on the area where your gums have been grafted.
- Safe: When most people hear the words “donor tissue,” they start getting worried about safety. However, AlloDerm donors are screened for serious diseases like oral cancer, HIV, and AIDS, so you won’t have to worry. After the tissue is harvested from donors, it is sanitized and processed to be even safer.
If you are wondering if you are a candidate for gum grafting, make an appointment with our office today.